Re-evaluating!
I am writing this post while working in the ICU. It's almost 1 am and I am taking care of an ECMO patient. It's my third night in a row and I'm exhausted. Work has been absolutely exhausting as of late and I am really re-evaluating this whole work thing. I was on call this past weekend and have been working 7 days straight. I miss my baby, my hubby and my family.
However, working in an ICU always puts life in perspective. Before I throw a pity party for myself, I need to remember to be thankful for my health and the health of my family and friends. It's so easy to take these things for granted, but looking a family member of an ECMO patient in the eye, and knowing that their loved one is in the fight of their life is so incredibly humbling. So, tonight instead of being angry and frustrated that I am missing so much of my son's first Christmas for work, I am counting my blessings.
ECMO always reminds me of my own mortality so I am going to step up on my soap box tonight and just say three things: 1- Get your flu shot 2- wear your seat belt 3- tell the people in your life how much you love and care about them. Every time I drive out of Portland and cross that bridge to go home from work I am constantly reminded of these three things.
I have done numbers 1&2 so for 3..I am so thankful for my family including that sweet little baby of mine and my amazing hubby. I love them with all my heart. I am also so lucky to get to spend time with my sisters, Mom and nephew this Christmas. It makes me so happy to have my house full this holiday. I miss our families and friends back home so much and hope that we see everyone sooner then later! Until then, I'm sending out a big hug to each and everyone of you! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and I hope you know how much The Schoonmaker's love you!
However, working in an ICU always puts life in perspective. Before I throw a pity party for myself, I need to remember to be thankful for my health and the health of my family and friends. It's so easy to take these things for granted, but looking a family member of an ECMO patient in the eye, and knowing that their loved one is in the fight of their life is so incredibly humbling. So, tonight instead of being angry and frustrated that I am missing so much of my son's first Christmas for work, I am counting my blessings.
ECMO always reminds me of my own mortality so I am going to step up on my soap box tonight and just say three things: 1- Get your flu shot 2- wear your seat belt 3- tell the people in your life how much you love and care about them. Every time I drive out of Portland and cross that bridge to go home from work I am constantly reminded of these three things.
I have done numbers 1&2 so for 3..I am so thankful for my family including that sweet little baby of mine and my amazing hubby. I love them with all my heart. I am also so lucky to get to spend time with my sisters, Mom and nephew this Christmas. It makes me so happy to have my house full this holiday. I miss our families and friends back home so much and hope that we see everyone sooner then later! Until then, I'm sending out a big hug to each and everyone of you! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and I hope you know how much The Schoonmaker's love you!
Comments
Post a Comment