Peace out tonsils and adenoids

This Wednesday Griffin goes in for surgery to get his tonsils and adenoids removed.  After battling a two year sinus infection with no end in sight his pediatrician referred him to see and ENT.  He was the same surgeon who took care of Graham's tongue tie and I felt good about his recommendation.  He has six kids and said he waited for four years with a constant sinus infection on one of his and he wished he would have had his kiddos surgery sooner.  I hate the fact that he is going to be pretty darn uncomfortable and in pain for about a week following the surgery but I think it will be worth it in the end.  Griffin is a pretty resilient kid, a couple weeks ago he was in the Dr.'s office with a 105 degree fever and you wouldn't have even suspected the kid was sick.  Its like he has no idea what it feels like to actually feel normal!   I don't even think Griffin knows how it feels to get a good nights sleep either, thanks to his constant swollen and infected adenoids and enlarged tonsils.  He wakes frequently with boughts of sleep apnea and has big dark circles under his eyes every morning.  I also think it affects his ability to concentrate during the day and as he is approaching school age I think that it needs to be addressed!

Naturally Sean and I are freaking out about the surgery and recovery.  I hate that he has to have general anesthesia and I can feel the anxiety creep in when I picture him intubated.  Surgery freaks me out, no matter how routine it is.   I have a healthy respect for the risks associated with this surgery, no matter how minor because my mind always comes back to the statistical risk of complications and that luck would have it that it would land on my kid.   I was able to ask some of the anesthesiologists that I work with about Griff's surgeon and the anesthesiologist that would be there and they all said wonderful things.  One of the Dr.'s I work with even went as far to call around to make sure their best pediatric anesthesiologist would be working the day of Griff's surgery.  If there is one good thing that comes from working in the medical field its the first hand knowledge of who to go to and who to steer clear of!

So Wednesday it is, in the meantime I need to stock up on Popsicles, ice cream, smoothie supplies, Gatorade, Advil, Tylenol and maybe a nice bottle of wine for the parents.  We'll be up newborn status giving Griffin pain medication every 4 hours for the next week, so if you call and we're cranky, you know why :)  Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular Posts