Back to life...back to reality!
Well, I have officially been back to work for two weeks now and truth be told, it wasn't as terrible as I was anticipating! The worst part of my day is when I have to leave that cute sleepy little baby in the morning, especially when all I really want to do is pull him into bed with me and snuggle! The first couple days were hard, especially because Griffin was right smack dab in the middle of his three month growth spurt! In retrospect, three months is a terrible time to go back to work, because of all of his growth spurts, this has been the most challenging! His sleep was thrown off, his was so hungry all the time and refused to nap. In other words, Sean had it REALLY easy those first couple days. LOL. The first day I came home he gave me the play by play, but before he told me all about it he said to me ,"This is really hard. I thought I understood what your day was like, but now I REALLY understand!". I smiled and we both commiserated on how tough it is to be a stay at home parent! This experience has really give both of us a real appreciation for each other.
The flip side of it, is that Griffin gets to have so much fun when he stays with his Daddy! Sean is so great with him, he is always coming up with fun new games to play with him. Its really fun to come home from work and Sean shows me all the fun stuff he taught Griffin. Its also nice because I usually get home from work somewhere between 11:30 and 2 pm (thanks to my early mornings), so Sean is ready for a break when I get home and I am ready to hold my baby! Griff is lucky to get two fresh parents! Sometimes I am pretty tired when I get home, so I grab Griffin and lay down with him and we nap together. Sean gets some time to himself and I get sleep! So far so good :)
Pumping at work has been OK. It was my biggest concern with returning to work. My friend and coworker had a little girl almost two years ago, so she was able to give me lots of advice on when, where and how to pump at work. Its stressful though, because I always have to pump once the patient is in the room, excuse myself while letting everyone know where I will be, and try to get it done in 15 minutes. Its worth it though, Griffin is doing great and I want to keep him on that track! The nurses I work with have been wonderful and very accommodating. Its funny, when you work in a health related field, there is no privacy! The surgeons I work with keep making sure I am eating, drinking and asking if I am getting enough rest...after all I am a "nursing mom". I do appreciate the support, I just have to laugh at times!
The other interesting thing I have noticed at work is that my stress level has actually gone DOWN since I had Griffin. It's weird. I don't really stress what kind of case or what hospital I am working at, and I feel more confident. I can't really explain it, but my job has actually gotten easier. We will see, I haven't been called in for an emergency, so things could change. But, I think I am just approaching my job with a different perspective..that the things that matter to me are at home and this job provides us the opportunity to spent more time together as a family. Either way, I'll take it!
The flip side of it, is that Griffin gets to have so much fun when he stays with his Daddy! Sean is so great with him, he is always coming up with fun new games to play with him. Its really fun to come home from work and Sean shows me all the fun stuff he taught Griffin. Its also nice because I usually get home from work somewhere between 11:30 and 2 pm (thanks to my early mornings), so Sean is ready for a break when I get home and I am ready to hold my baby! Griff is lucky to get two fresh parents! Sometimes I am pretty tired when I get home, so I grab Griffin and lay down with him and we nap together. Sean gets some time to himself and I get sleep! So far so good :)
Pumping at work has been OK. It was my biggest concern with returning to work. My friend and coworker had a little girl almost two years ago, so she was able to give me lots of advice on when, where and how to pump at work. Its stressful though, because I always have to pump once the patient is in the room, excuse myself while letting everyone know where I will be, and try to get it done in 15 minutes. Its worth it though, Griffin is doing great and I want to keep him on that track! The nurses I work with have been wonderful and very accommodating. Its funny, when you work in a health related field, there is no privacy! The surgeons I work with keep making sure I am eating, drinking and asking if I am getting enough rest...after all I am a "nursing mom". I do appreciate the support, I just have to laugh at times!
The other interesting thing I have noticed at work is that my stress level has actually gone DOWN since I had Griffin. It's weird. I don't really stress what kind of case or what hospital I am working at, and I feel more confident. I can't really explain it, but my job has actually gotten easier. We will see, I haven't been called in for an emergency, so things could change. But, I think I am just approaching my job with a different perspective..that the things that matter to me are at home and this job provides us the opportunity to spent more time together as a family. Either way, I'll take it!
Comments
Post a Comment